Gaza, Palestine (Traces)
Mohammed Al Haj’s father recently obtained permission to visit the West Bank city of Hebron in order to see his daughter. He was also able to visit his hometown, the village of Kaokaba, now known as Kokhav Michael. When he finally arrived, faced with the landscape that he had not seen since his youth, memories of his childhood overwhelmed him and tears streamed down his face.
Using Raw materials, Al Haj aimed to recreate this sentiment and to fulfil his father’s desire to document the village of his youth. As Al Haj explores the topography and contours of the land by interpreting his father’s memory of it, we begin to question the concept of borders and land ownership. Who draws the maps and lines of division? What is to be said of those to whom ownership was not based on material gain but on the preservation of one’s history and identity?
Born in Libya in 1982, Mohammed Al Haj obtained his BA in Fine Art from Al Aqsa University, Gaza in 2004. He has taken part in numerous collaborative arts projects, particularly mural work- with artists and youth from Gaza. In order to further hone his skills, he undertook various courses in art and design after completing university. Mohammed currently teaches art in various public schools in Gaza.
- ‘Black on White Space’, Association for Culture and Free Thought, Gaza (2013).
- International Festival celebrating the anniversary the city of Jericho (2013).
- ‘Artist’s for Palestine’, Gaza (2013).
- International Exhibition for Plastic Arts (2013).
- ‘Forced Flight’ (2013).
- First Artist’s Club, Jerusalem (2013).
- International Disability Day, Palestinian Commission for Citizen’s Rights, Gaza (2012).
- ‘Crossroads of Arab artists’, Cairo Atelier, Cairo (2012).
- Eighth Anniversary of the Passing of President Yasser Arafat, Cairo Atelier, Cairo (2012).
- Yard Foundation Gallery, Amman (2012).
- ‘Tune the Dirt’, Roots Gallery (2012).
- Middle East Exhibition for Plastic Arts, Cairo (2012).
- ‘The Warmth of Winter’, Center for the Rehabilitation and Development of Palestinian Women, Gaza (2012).
- ‘Spring Art’, Gaza (2011).
- ‘Gaz’art’ , Red Crescent Society, Gaza (2010).
- ‘A necessary Thing’, Union Gallery, Gaza (2010).
- ‘Colours of Hope’ (2009).
- ‘How’, Gaza (2009).
- ‘Tolerance 4’, Gaza (2009).
- ‘Exception’, Centre for Women’s Information, Gaza (2009).
- ‘Cutting the Light’, Association of Culture and Free Thought, Gaza (2009).
- ‘Dark Areas’, Palestinian Forum, Gaza (2009).
- Tenth Anniversary of the Founding of the Village of Arts and Crafts, Gaza (2008).
- ‘The Joy of Childhood’, Summer Games Project, Gaza (2007).
- ‘Palestinian Features’, Art and Craft Village, Gaza (2007).
- ‘Insights’, Ministry of Education, Gaza (2007).
- Second Anniversary of the Passing of Palestinian President, Yasser Arafat, Arts and Crafts Village, Gaza (2006).
- Mural in Memory of the Palestinian Revolution, Gaza, (2006).
- ‘Spring’, Al Aqsa University, Gaza (2005).
- ‘Horizons’, YMCA, Gaza (2004).