Since his childhood, Mohammed Abusal has been drawn to the unique form and features of the cactus- with its individuality, oddness, unhurried growth and resilience. He continues to surround himself by cacti within his home as to him the cactus is a symbol of strength, patience and determination.
Born in 1976 in Gaza, Mohamed Abusal completed his BA in Accounting from the Islamic University of Gaza in 1999. He then undertook various courses in art and design including a Graphic Design Course in 2001 through the University of Macromedia (USA) as well as courses in photography.
Abusal’s ‘Metro in Gaza’ (2012) proposes a network of seven metro lines that connect different areas of the Gaza Strip. He made an illuminated metro sign and set off to fix and photograph this sign wherever he imagined the metro stations should be. Abusal was awarded the Al-Mawred Production Award (2010-2011) for the project. ‘Shambar’ (2013) is a work based on alternative light solutions for people living in Gaza as a result of the continuous power cuts and was shown at Al Mamal Foundation in Jerusalem, the French Institute in Gaza, Ramallah and Nablus. He was awarded the AFAC Production Award for ‘Shambar’ in 2012. Abusal has exhibited extensively around the world over the last decade, notably in France where he has held several solo exhibitions in addition to the US, the UK, Australia and Dubai.
In 2005, Abusal was awarded the Charles Asprey Prize for Contemporary Art. He is also a founding member of ‘Eltiqa’ a collective of contemporary artists established in 2002.
- ‘SHAMBAR’ , Photography, curated by (Lara Al Khalidi), Showed in Al-Mamal gallery – Jerusalem, & French Institute Galleries (Gaza, Ramallah, Nablus) Palestine (2013).
- ‘A Metro in Gaza’, Installation & Performance photography, curated by (Ala Younis), Showed in French Institute Galleries (Gaza, Ramallah, Nablus) Palestine, & Gallery of University of LYON-France (2013)
- ‘PASSIVE’, The Cite International des Arts – Paris. & Mica Gallery, SHUBBAK Festival – London (2012)
- ‘Light’ ‘Eclairage’, Center Culture France Network – Gaza, Jerusalem, Ramallah, Nablus. Palestine (2009)
- ‘Dot in Calligraphy’, Carre Gallery (Axe En Provence, Lyon, France) (2009).
- ‘Borders’, Ville d’Albi, France (2006)
- ‘A Story of 99 Cactus’, Gallery Centre Press, Rodez, France (2005).
- ‘The Magic Box’, The Friends School – Ramallah (Qattan Foundation Art Award), Palestine (2004).
- ‘The Identity; between Warmth Colors and the Dream of Generations’, Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center, Ramallah, Palestine (2001).
- ‘Blue Window’, YMCA, Gaza, Palestine (2000).
- ‘ARTPALESTINE 2014’, White Box Center, New York City, curated by Mary Evangelista (2014)
- ‘Collective Contemporary Exhibition’, Dublin, Ireland curated by Felim Egan (2013)
- ‘Jordanian, Palestinian, French’, Artists Union Space, Amman, Jordan (2013)
- ‘Deep into that Darkness Peering’, Dual Exhibition Curated by “Lara Al-Khalidi”, Sakakini Culture Centre, Ramallah, Palestine (2013)
- ‘MoMRtA’, Public National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Algiers, Exhibition curated by Ala Younis (2013)
- ‘AMBIENTARTE’ (Terza Edizione), Yacht Med Festival, Sede Associazione Culturale Novecento, Italy (2012)
- ‘DEFIANCE’, The Stone Space gallery, Leytonstone, London. Courated by Arts Canteen (Aser Al-Saqqa) (2012)
- ‘A Meeting in Eltiqa House’ Workshop & Collective Exhibition, Eltiqa Artists House, Gaza (2012)
- Middle East festival, Lyon University (2012)
- Francophone Day, French Institute Gaza & Jerusalem (2012).
- ‘MAGMART’ / International Video Art Festival, Italy (2011)
- ‘Autre Monde’, Mobile exhibition, Toulouse monicipality show room, Moissac, France (2011)
- ‘Newcastle Gateshead Art Fair’, United Kingdom, Courated by Arts Canteen (Aser Al-Saqqa) (2011)
- ‘Repercussions of Blue, In Memory of Rhonda Adnan Saad’, An exhibition featuring selected art works from the Yvette and Mazen Qupty art collection. Al Hoash Gallery, Jerusalem, Palestine (2011)
- ‘Visual Stories’, Eltiqa Artists House, Gaza – (Cooperate with Qattan, PCHR, Eltiqa) (2010)
- ‘GAZART’, Exhibition & Workshop, Eltiqa artists house (2010)
- ‘CREATIVE PALESTINIAN ART’, Art Sawa, Dubai – (2010)
- Politography, Photography and exhibition workshop, Eltiqa & Shababeik, Directed with Goeth Institute (2010)
- ‘VIDEO’APPART’ Paris–Dubai Biennial Hosting, (France/Korea) – Courtesy of Galerie Mamia (2010)
- Bretesché Video’Appart Paris-Dubai (2010)
- ‘Colors of Hope’, UNDP annual auction exhibition, Ambassador Hotel, Jerusalem, Palestine (2010)
- ‘Art Rest’, Organized by Eltiqa, PRCS – Gaza, Palestine (2009)
- ‘Traces Du Guerre’, CCF, Gaza, Palestine (2009)
- ‘ELTIQA’, Gallery Brigitte Griffault, Le Scribe – Montauban, France (2009)
- ‘Colors from Palestine’, Bank of Palestine hall – Gaza & Ramallah, Cooperate with French Consulate (2009)
- ELTIQA, L’Accadi Gallery, Cajarc, France (2008)
- ‘Here not Here’ workshop between Gaza & Ville de Najac, France (2008)
- ‘Without Preparing’, photograph exhibition, Place Makan, Amman, Jordan (2008)
- ‘La Nuit Blanche’, CCF, Gaza (2008)
- ‘Gaza Seasons’, Gallery of Arab Bookshop, Geneva, Switzerland (2007)
- ELTIQA, Mobile exhibition, Albi, Toulouse, France (2007)
- ‘Gaza shooed pieces’, Albi, Toulouse, Rodez, France (2007)
- ‘From Sands to Gray & From Gray to Sands’, Photography workshop with Swiss Artist, Gaza, Palestine (2006)
- 10 Artists from Palestine – Mobile @ 10 Cities in France (2005)
- ‘Pienture Photography Palestine’ PPP – Le Manoir de la Ville de Martigny, Switzerland (2005)
- Palestine in Photographs, UNISCO gallery, Beirut, Lebanon (2004)
- Photos from Palestine – Hungary (Palestinian Ministry of Culture organization, (2004)
- Williamsburg Bridges Palestine, New York, USA (2003).
- ‘Seeds of Art’, ZARA Gallery, Jordan (2003).
- ‘I Remember 1948’, The Performance Space, Cleveland Street, Redfern, Sydney, Australia (2003)
- ‘Made in Palestine’, Art Car Museum, Houston, TX, USA (2003)
- 6 Artists from Gaza, CCF Centre Cultural France, Jerusalem, Palestine (2003)’
- Art Across Borders’, A traveling exhibition of contemporary Palestinian and Iraqi art Retail Therapy Gallery, Capitol Hill (Corner of Pike and Broaday), Babylon Art & Cultural Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Williamsburg Bridges Palestine, New York, USA (2002)
- Marwan Kassab Bachi Students Exhibition, Darat Al Funun, Amman, Jordan (2002)
- Arabic Jerusalem, Jordanian Artists Union, Amman, Jordan (2001)
- We Will Be, PRCS, Gaza, Palestine (2001)
- The 4th Al Sharjah Biennale, UAE (2001)
- ‘September Harvesting’, Arts Village, Gaza, Palestine (2001)
- ‘In the Shadows of the Intifada’, Arts Village, Gaza, Palestine (2000)
- ‘4 Young Artists’, Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center, Ramallah, Palestine (1999)
- ‘Horizons’, YMCA, Gaza, Palestine (1999)
- ‘Jerusalem is a Bridge for Return’, a Mural Project, Latin School Hall, Gaza, Palestine (1999)
- ‘Free Colors’, Holst Cultural Center, Gaza, Palestine (1998)
- Friendship of UN, Japan Exhibition, UN, Gaza, Palestine (1997)
- Amman’s Summer Exhibition, Arts Palace, Jordan (1999-2001)
- Various group exhibitions (1994-1997).
Bibliography, Reviews, Publications
- Creative Palestine book, Published by Art Sawa gallery, Dubai, UAE, 2010
- Colors of Hope, UNDP, Jerusalem, Pa;estine 2010
- Radio MontiCarlo interview, France, 2009
- Al-Ayyam newspaper, Article by “Tahseen Yaqein” Ramallah, Palestine, 2000
- Preoccupying Zones – The Young Artist of the Year (2004), “Hasan Hourani Art Award”, Qattan foundation, Palestine 2004
- ‘Made in Palestine’ book, Station museum, Huston USA 2003
- ‘The Butterfly’s burden’, Using one of Identity painting for the last poem Diwan for “Mahmoud Darwish”, Copper Conion Press, Canada